This weekend’s multiple anniversary commemorations have already got off to a sparkling start with an edition of Friday Night Is Music Night featuring a medley of Radio 2 “themes”, a singalong version of ‘MacArthur Park’ and Joe Brown cracking jokes about Ken Bruce.
Unfortunately there was no evidence of a mooted (at least by TV Cream) appearance by the Radio 2 Players; indeed, there doesn’t look like being any collective tribute, not even a special pantomime, during the whole celebrations.
By way of scant compensation, then, here are some of Radio 2’s erstwhile constituent parts.
1) A phalanx of DJs and significant others marches on 10 Downing Street to demand an end to the pervasive corrupting influence of Waggoner’s Walk:
2) Gloria Hunniford swaps the verdant pastures of Broadcasting House for a stint on Open Air fielding endless complaints about Peter Sissons’s pay packet and enquiries about the music played during Ceefax AM:
3) Brian Matthew dresses down for dinner:
4) Jimmy Young is joined in the studio by a known bender:
5) Just another average lunchtime in the BBC club:
6) Ed Stewart in a rare shot reaching for his wallet:
7) John Dunn is informed he no longer has to share a locker with Steve Wright: